Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Goodbye


I have been silent on this blog for some time now. Mostly I think because I have lost interest in what I do here. I’m tired. Ready for whatever that next step may be. Let me do my best to catch you up on what has happened in the world of Peace Corps over the past few months. 

-          Peace Corps announced that they will be closing down 5 countries and Cape Verde was on that list. We were called one day and told that we needed to be at our consolidation point no later than noon the next day. Rumors and speculation were running wild. I did my best to calm down any first years calling me, and even jokingly said that maybe were getting evacuated. So, after 24 years in Cape Verde, Peace Corps will no longer be serving in this country. I have my serious issues with the decision to leave, but I am happy they decided to wait until September so that we can gradually phase out over 6 months or so, and so that I can complete my service in full unlike our unfortunate first year volunteers. The first year volunteers were given the option of completing their service here or continuing on to other countries. Unfortunately, one of the countries that many first year volunteers were going to serve in recently shut down due to a military coup. I believe that most of them have been sorted out. I know you guys will be great. 

-          I gave my first presentation to tour operators on the island. I discussed the locations of the protected areas boundaries and important wildlife that exists in the region. The presentation went well overall, but was heckled at the end during the Q&A time of my presentation by a guy whom I told I couldn’t help because he refused to do any of the work for himself. He instead expected me to write his proposal, budget, and find sponsors for an event that he couldn’t even explain (I know, ridiculous). Needless to say, it was slightly demoralizing and has stunted my enthusiasm for my job and life here. 

-          The whales are back and I have been assisting the Irish Whale and Dolphin group with research when the need help.

-          Lizard research is also still going very well. Specimen number 100 is currently still alive in my house. I acquired an aquarium from Natura2000 to perform some controlled tests in my house with a few lizards. Observing specimen number 100 has been enlightening. 

Those are a few of the things that have been going on in my life over the past few months. This blog has been much fun for me, and many times has helped me keep track of what has happened to me here. But, life moves on and we lose interest in things that once captivated us. We get bored, restless, and need change to keep us going. I am at that point and feel that I have been for some time now. I don’t regret any of my time here or how I have chosen to live during my time here. It is however, an island, and with oh so limited activities here, I must leave. This will most likely be my last blog. Thank you to everyone who has followed along with me during this adventure. Thank you to everyone who sent me packages… they were always welcomed with great enthusiasm. This is obviously only an electronic goodbye; I plan on seeing many of you back in the states and other parts of the world as soon as possible. Peace and love.  

4 comments:

  1. I am sure you will be so unfortunately missed come Sept. on the island. On the same note though you will be so lovingly embraced returning home. It has been a short time away for you I'm sure. But a very long separation for those here that love and miss you. I will miss reading about your life and adventure on the island. Their has been so many great and wonderful tales about your time there and can't wait to hear more when you get back. Love & miss you, your Uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Matt! I read your blog when we lived on different islands, yet in the same country, and now I'm reading it from across the ocean. So hard to believe that so much time has already passed since I COSd. Miss your smiling face and goofy laugh... gotta hang in Merka! <3 Djoni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Matt - sorry to hear that your time here is coming to an end, but it seems like you will leave with no regrets. Don't let one guy knock you down - I think you will remember the positive things over the negatives in the long run. Thanks again for lending me your phone, it has been very handy and gives me peace-at-mind when we are out at sea. Hopefully we will have a space on the boat for you in the coming days. We had a nice survey this morning with 3 samples and we got 5 on Thursday, beating our current best record of 4-in-one-day!

    Gotta meet up for a beer before I leave on Thursday. My number is 9314975
    Ciao, Conor

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s never too early to think about the Third Goal. Check out Peace Corps Experience: Write & Publish Your Memoir. Oh! If you want a good laugh about what PC service was like in a Spanish-speaking country back in the 1970’s, read South of the Frontera: A Peace Corps Memoir.

    ReplyDelete